Today’s episode is with Rob Hallstrom, former editor of SPLASH magazine! He was definitely a lucky man in the right place at the right time to ride the wave of the golden era of the Jet Ski world. Get an insight into the inner workings of SPLASH Magazine, what it took to put together, some of the challenges they faced and some of the unreal perks he got as an editor covering a sport that he loved! We hope you enjoy this interview with a man at the forefront of the Jet Ski world!
- 01:20 Hello and welcome Rob
- 01:40 How did you get involved in the world of Jet Skis?
- 04:15 What work did you do outside of Jet Skis? VW Trends Magazine
- 06:20 The perks of being editor means you always have a great ski
- 07:55 What does an editor actually do?
- 10:00 How did you start at Splash Magazine?
- 13:45 How did the interviews work back then? Technology has changed!
- 16:00 Splash Magazine’s had the best colour
- 17:20 What makes a good interview?
- 18:30 In Your Face20:25 Bad interviews
- 21:45 Getting onto the cover of the magazine
- 25:40 Getting to test Jet Skis
- 26:35 New model releases
- 29:50 We always got to test the latest tech
- 32:45 Trips to Australia with Jet Pilot
- 36:20 Yamaha special testing with new Jet Skis getting to ride 120 miles
- 37:55 The right time at the right place
- 39:00 Big money changed the industry
- 42:15 Ed Miller’s PJS Ski the VHP
- 44:40 The Fish Report
- 47:55 Custom Corner
- 49:40 Custom of the Month
- 52:05 What was your favourite part of the magazine?
- 53:10 Splash Bash and the Mex Rager
- 57:00 Riding motorcycles on Route 66 with Spat
- 01:01:30 The infamous riot
- 01:03:30 The end of your Splash Magazine career and starting with European Car Magazine
- 01:06:25 The demise of the magazine as a concept
- 01:09:00 What are you doing these days? 714 Media
- 01:10:15 What does your Splash collection look like?
- 01:12:15 Thank you so much for your time!
- 01:12:40 Outro
Hi,how can I get an old issue of Splash with Dustin Farthing on the cover riding a carbon fiber yellow wave blaster built by Riva around 1996 thanx any an all help is appreciated,Patric Miller 321-948-4173
I,m looking for Splash magazine with Dustin Farthing on yellow blaster on cover,all help appreiciated,thanx